The Science program at the Eastern School District is based on the Pan-Canadian outcomes established by the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC) in 1997.
This curriculum is mandated for all grades from Kindergarten to Level III. It is divided into three strands for each grade. These are as follows: Life Science, Physical Science, and Earth/Space Science. The goals of this curriculum are to:
- encourage students at all grade levels to develop a critical sense of wonder and curiosity about scientific endeavours
- enable students to use science to acquire new knowledge and solve problems, so that they may improve the quality of their own lives and the lives of others
- prepare students to critically address science-related societal, economic, ethical, and environmental issues
- provide students with a foundation in science that creates opportunities for them to pursue progressively higher levels of study, prepares them for science-related occupations, and engages them in science-related hobbies appropriate to their interests and abilities
- develop in students of varying aptitudes and interests, knowledge of the wide variety of careers related to science